Thursday, March 5, 2015

Bruce Mau Incomplete Manifesto

1. Allow events to change you.You have to be willing to grow. Growth is different from something that happens to you.You produce it.You live it.The prerequisites for growth: the openness to experience events and the willingness to be changed by them.
12. Keep moving. The market and its operations have a tendency to reinforce success.Resist it.Allow failure and migration to be part of your practice.

Bruce Mau is a Canadian designer who from 1985-2010 was the creative director for Bruce Mau Design and is the founder of the institute without boundaries. Mau studied at the Ontario College of Art & Design in Toronto but joined the Fifty Fingers design group before graduation. He helped found Public Good Design and Communications then later established Zone ½. Throughout his career he has been a cullinan professor, an advisor, a visiting scholar, and honorary fellow of the Ontario college of Art & Design and a member of the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts, among many other things. Bruce Mau applies to our class today with his produced 43 point program called an Incomplete Manifesto for Growth that attemps to help designers and other creative to reflect on their design process.

I personally connected the most with “Allow events to change you” and “keep moving” . I found these to be particularly inspirational because I like the idea of change and growth, especially as I become more established as a designer. I like the idea to keep in mind the openness needed to experience the events that will change me and help me grow further into what I am capable of. “Keep moving” spoke to me because there can just be so much on my plate and sometimes I just need to remind myself not be frozen with overwhelment. The overwhelmed feeling will pass I just have to stay motivated and keep moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment